Thursday, September 4, 2008

School Daze

Yesterday was my first day back at school and as nerdy and geeky as this sounds I'm siked to be back. This semester is gonna be a toughie, 18 credits and a 4 shift workweek. I am confident in my abilities so I know that it's nothing I can't handle. What's different about this semester is that I will be taking mostly elective courses because I am pretty much done with my core classes. Most of my electives are sociology or psychology based...so interesting. I honestly think studying peoples roles in society and their behaviors is another passion of mine, which brings me to the point of this post.

Can anyone understand me when I say that I absolutely hate when people ask me what my major is??? Sounds crazy but there's a method to my madness. See it's not the fact that people are interested in what I'm studying, it's just the fact that I feel misunderstood like people have preconceived notions of me because I study "fashion". I know it's cliche to say that I don't care what people think of me because everyone does to some extent. I will say this, there always seems to be some sort of stigma attached to people who are in the whole fashion world. While many of us are very creative minded individuals with an appreciation for life, the arts and culture, people often mistake people in the industry for being uppity, self righteous, and shallow. While these people do exist, I will say that most of us are dedicated and hard working individulas who are devoted to our craft. We see fashion as a mode of self expression and a creative outlet. There is so much about a person that can be conveyed through their sense of style and so much emotion and attitude behind it. Most important, we are dedicated and passionate about what we do. I can't tell you how much it makes me want to rip my hair from my scalp when I see girls (or anyone for that matter) who decide to join the program at my school because they either want an easy way through college, or think that just because they like to shop and look trendy/hot/pretty that fashion is the field or them. Newsflash: in order to be successful in anything in life it takes hard work, talent and dedication.....it's lazy people like this that give us a bad rap.

Another thing...why is it that when teachers push their students and have high expectations of them, they get attacked? I have been in countless instances where I have been warned not to take certain classes because of the professor actually doing their job. I find this especially true with black professors. Every black professor that has ever challenged me has always been the target of attack. Why are minority professors who take pride in what they do always villainized? I suppose they would be more popular if they stood at the front of the class doing stand up comedy, eating watermelon and drinking Kool Aid. I mean after all, isn't that what black folks are supposed to do? Isn't it our role in society to play the fool and confirm every negative and ludacris sterotype seen in the media? Sure seems like it.

Today I was reading a review of one of my professors online. One idiot had the gall to comment "If you are an attractive white female, stay away!" Yea, ok. I'm pretty sure the reason that the professor failed you was because she was jealous of your so called good looks, and had nothing at all to do with the fact that you are probably a stuck up, narrow minded, lazy, and self righteous twit. I bet you're thinking that your parents hard earned tuition money is probably being spent on Air Jordans, 40 ounces, and Newport cigarettes. I mean naturally she owes it to you to pass your dumb ass right? I'm sure that a forty something year old professor with a PhD, long list of accomplishments, and a fully established career is jealous of you and your negative, pretentious attitude. Get a grip you moronic idiot. I know that this post makes me seem like the angry minority here but seriously, stuff like this goes right up my ass. There are still some people in the world who actually take their professions seriously and know better then to hand out good grades which could ultimately lead to the advancement of undeserving and incompetent people. Look at what happened with Bush! Let's learn from our mistakes people and stop blaming our shortcomings on people whose job it is to help us succeed.

No comments: